The Village of Croton-on-Hudson Department of Public Works represents an organization whose existence is justified on the basis of service to our community. The employees of the Department of Public Works are committed to providing the citizens of this Village with world-class infrastructure, maintenance and engineering services that are efficient, effective, responsive and responsible. The Public Works Department operates within the policies and budgets adopted by the Mayor and Board of Trustees as administered by the Village Manager and Commissioner of Public Works.
Public Employees must seek and preserve public confidence by demonstrating impartial service, and offering service and trust to all members of the public. It is essential all members remember that in their execution of their duties, they act not for themselves, but for the good of the public.
The Department serves the people of our community by performing the public works function in a professional manner. It is to these people that the Department is ultimately responsible. We are dedicated to our vision and core values.
There are many responsibilities associated with our mission. The Department of Public Works offers the following services to its residents:
- In-house Professional Engineering Services for Capital/Public Works Projects
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Water Meter Readings
- Water Main Maintenance, Inspection and Repair
- Water Service Repairs from the Corporation Stop to the Curb Box
- Roadway and Curb Maintenance and Repair
- Street Pothole Repair
- Street Sweeping
- Street Light Maintenance
- Sanitation (Refuse and Recycling Collection)
- Yard Waste
- Snow and Ice Removal (Salting, Plowing and Hauling)
- Alley Maintenance and Grading
- Traffic and Street Sign Installation and Maintenance
- Pavement Striping and Symbols (e.g. Double Yellow Centerlines, Crosswalks, etc.)
- Sidewalk Inspection, Maintenance and Repair
- Village Parks, Trails and Forested Land Maintenance and Beautification
- Minor Tree Trimming and Removal
- Grass Mowing and Weed Control in the Village Right-of-Way and Village Owned Properties
- Continual Branch Pick-Up/Chipping
- Storm Sewer Inspection, Maintenance and Repair
- Sanitary Sewer Maintenace, Inspections and Repair (residents are responsible for their private sewer lateral to the Village sanitary sewer main connection)
- Limited Animal Control
- Provide Maintenance and Repairs at Village Hall, Police Department and other Municipal Buildings
- Work in coordination with the Village Hall, Police and Fire Departments
- Maintain Village Owned Vehicles
- Maintain Public Works Vehicles and Equipment
- General/Routine Maintenance within the Village
Commitment to our mission enhances the quality of life, promotes economic prosperity and improves mobility for the citizens of Village of Croton-on-Hudson. We strive to be a recognized public works leader, and continuously improve our operations in order to provide a safe and sustainable environment.